FARNHAM, Thomas (by 1527-62), of Stoughton and Quorndon, Leics. of London.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
Steward and bailiff, former Leics. lands of bp. of Lincoln 1549-d., teller of Exchequer May 1552; esquire of the body by 1559; clerk of liveries, ct. wards July 1559-61; particular surveyor, Exchequer, Leics. 1561-d.; j.p. Leics. 1558/59-d.3
Before establishing himself in the Exchequer, Farnham had begun to build up estates. In 1548 he bought a lease of the possessions of St. Mary the Virgin in Leicester from the duchy of Lancaster, in the next year he became bailiff of the property once held by the bishop of Lincoln, and in 1551, now resident in London, he purchased Denby manor in Yorkshire, which he soon resold at a profit. After his brother-in-law (Sir) Thomas Chaloner had surrendered his tellership of the Exchequer in his favour, Farnham was able to compete even more vigorously in the land market. The chantry land at Quorndon came to him with the grange of Stoughton and other properties in the neighbourhood.4
Farnham was probably returned for Leicester through the influence of his relative the recorder. He opposed the initial measures to restore