Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1386-1421, ed. J.S. Roskell, L. Clark, C. Rawcliffe., 1993
Available from Boydell and Brewer



Sept. 1388

Family and Education

Offices Held


John Mychel was a common name in the late 14th century, and a satisfactory identification of the man who sat for Lostwithiel in 1388 is accordingly difficult to make.1 The most likely candidate is the person who occasionally brought large consignments of tin to be taxed and stamped at Lostwithiel (for example some 6,250 lbs. in April 1394 and 1,700 lbs. more only three months later). He may also have been the John Mychel who, with his wife, Joan, in 1399 lost his suit at the Launceston assizes over property at ‘Trebyghan’.2

Ref Volumes: 1386-1421

Author: L. S. Woodger


  • 1. It is possible, but unlikely, that the Lostwithiel MP was the royal serjeant-at-arms who was in the King’s service by March 1389, that is within five months of the Cambridge Parliament: CPR, 1388-92, p. 56; 1391-6, p. 269.
  • 2. E101/263/26; JUST 1/1502 m. 207d.