BEGET, John, of Shrewsbury, Salop.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
s. of John Beget of London. m. bef. July 1417, Benedicta,1 ?3s.
Assessor, Shrewsbury Sept. 1410-11, 1419-20, 1424-5, 1429-30.2
Tax collector, Shrewsbury Dec. 1414, Nov. 1415.
Beget’s family had held property in Frankwell, a suburb of Shrewsbury, since 1278. His father, also named John, a skinner by trade, was described in 1404 as ‘of London’, but Beget himself was a mercer and like his grandfather resided in Shrewsbury, or, at furthest, only five miles away in Longden, after acquiring in 1417 all the lands in the latter place belonging to William Biriton of Shrewsbury.3 Following his only return to Parliament, in December 1416 Beget was among the Shrewsbury burgesses consulted by the bailiffs in the Common Hall with regard to the drawing up of ordinances to ensure the fair collection of the ‘taske’ of the town. When one of the six ‘supersedentes’; or assessors of the borough, in 1420 he travelled to Bridgnorth on the community’s behalf to attend the sessions being held there.4
In 1426 Beget was appointed executor of the will of Roger Colle of Shrewsbury, esquire, but thereafter it is difficult to distinguish him from two other John Begets, both of whom were probably his sons. It is likely that in February 1431 the former MP was still in possession of ‘Blake halle’ in ‘Romaldesham’ (now Barker Street) and of property in Castle Foregate, but he died before March 1437 when his eldest son, calling himself John Beget ‘senior’, conveyed this property to Degory Water, the transaction being witnessed by John Beget ‘junior’, then one of the town bailiffs.5 It was probably John Beget the MP who founded the chantry at the altar of St. Michael in St. Chad’s church, Shrewsbury, which was later adopted by the fraternity of mercers, and also provided for the relief of 14 ‘pore almes people’.